Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world Nelson Mandela
Saibaba is a quality academic school providing free schooling with lessons taught in English for deprived children from the shanty-town of Lalbaug in Mumbai.
How you can help
Education is a major issue in India, a challenge for the future. In 2010, India passed a law guaranteeing the right to free education for every child aged 6-14 years.
However, the level of teaching in government-funded schools is poor: too few teachers with too little training. Classes are too large – up to 60 pupils in large towns. Absenteeism amongst both teachers and children is very high.
Furthermore, the infrastructure is inadequate, with a lack of running water and toilet facilities.
Finally, for the poorest families, children are a source of income, particularly girls. They are made to beg, to help their mothers, to care for their siblings.
Today, in India, it is estimated that 50% of women and 30% of men are illiterate
According to the most recent Unesco statistics, 15 million girls aged 6-10 years do not attend school – 25% of their generation.
50% of children abandon their schooling by the age of 10
Doceo needs you
In 2016 Docéo financed:
The recruitment of a headmaster, a psychologist and a social worker
A new 7th grade class for 48 children
A special programme for children in great difficulty
A new cultural teaching programme (dance & drama)
In 2017 we need to find financing:
For an 8th grade class to allow the children to continue their schooling
To open a library (purchase of books and employment of a librarian)
To update the IT room
To provide music lessons and purchase of instruments
La création des cours de soutien
En 2018, de nombreux projets restent à financer :
L’ouverture d’une classe Grade 9 (3 ème )
Le recrutement d’un coordinateur pédagogique
Le Recrutement de professeurs supplémentaires
La Rénovation et modernisation de la salle informatique
La création d’une section artistique (musique et théâtre)
A modern educational facility offering a high quality education in a nurturing environment
Saibaba is a quality academic school
- 650 students (boys and girls)
- Lessons are taught in English from nursery level
- Professional learning environment
- Qualified teachers who undergo ongoing training
- 2 teachers for each class of 40 students, with 3 teachers at nursery level
- Sporting and cultural activities (art, music)
- Préparation aux examens nationaux Indiens
- The school remains open all year, including during school holidays
Saibaba, a human education « Give them Love and Happiness »
- Coaching and psychological support for the children
- Encouraging the involvement of parents in school life
- Strong emphasis placed on interactivity and communication between students, teachers and parents
- Teaching personal hygiene and other essential life skills
Docéo is involved in defining not only the priorities and tasks to be financed, but also the major direction of its projects, and guarantees the financial transparency of how funds are utilised.
Docéo is partnered with NGO’s based locally in Mumbai (United Way of India).